Many of us think that we own our homes, our cars, our savings, etc. We say my family, my wife, my husband, my son, my daughter, etc. We think of everything that is in our possessions as ours. However, who’s really the owner? Please don’t say, “The bank or mortgage company or my landlord is the owner of my home.” The true owner of everything is God.
- Psalms 24:1 — “The earth is the Lord’s, and everything in it, the world, and all who live in it.”
- Leviticus 25:23 — “The land is mine and you are but aliens and my tenants.
- Haggai 2:8 — “ ‘The silver is mine and the gold is mine,’ declares the Lord Almighty.
- 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 — “You are not your own; you were bought at a price.”
- Deuteronomy 8:18 — “Remember the Lord your God, for it is he who gives you the ability to produce wealth.”
- Romans 11:36a — “For from him and through him and to him are all things …”
After reading these verses, I hope that you realize that we own nothing on this Earth. God has entrusted everything and everyone whom we call “ours” to us. We only have stewardship over these items and persons while we are alive. Upon our deaths everything we once claimed as “mine”, God entrusts to someone else. So don’t think you are an owner of anything. God is really the owner. He entrusts more to some than He does to others. We must be faithful with what He has entrusted to us because one day we will be held accountable to Him.